RT16 Walk Behind TrencherFeaturing a 16-hp Briggs & Stratton Vanguard™ engine, the Ditch Witch RT16 walk-behind trencher has heavy-duty components for outstanding productivity trench after trench, year after year. Heavy-duty frames and components to stand up to the toughest jobsite conditions. Chains, teeth and sprockets are specially designed and manufactured to work together to provide exceptional productivity, and last longer than any other digging system. Superior-quality Honda engines run hard all day job after job, year after year. Every component, every detail of the Ditch Witch® RT walk-behind trencher family has been contemplated, evaluated, and executed to create machines that will give you the absolute best bang for your buck—period.
- Heavy-duty components include a drive linkage that is built to last and designed to simplify operation and maintenance.
- Standard outboard bearing support stabilizes and supports the headshaft and auger, for reliable productivity trench after trench.
- No belts to maintain—or break—because Ditch Witch walk-behind trenchers are equipped with direct-driven hydraulic pumps, independent ground-drive hydrostats, and a hydraulic gear pump for auxiliary functions.
- Hydraulic, skid-steer-style steering makes RT-series trenchers more maneuverable and more productive.
- Easy hand controls: one hand for mobiling, two hands for trenching; all controls—including engine throttle, chain-engagement, and boom lift—are grouped conveniently at the operator’s station.
- Your choice of high-flotation tires or heavy-duty tracks, both of which provide the stability and traction to drive across trenches, curbs, and rough terrain; oscillating tracks “walk” or oscillate 12 degrees, for extra stability.
- Featuring a durable, high-strength axle and a steel deck, the Ditch Witch S2B single-axle trailer is designed specifically for our walk-behind trenchers.
- Solid-rubber trail wheel increases stability when traveling over uneven and rough terrain, reduces breakover when loading and unloading, and improves leverage when trenching.
- Exceptionally reliable and durable Honda engines power the RT12, RT20 and RT24, while the RT16 offers an economical and reliable Briggs & Stratton Vanguard engine; all models equipped with electric starters.
- In tough ground conditions, torque to the trencher chain can be increased by replacing the digging system’s standard 12-tooth sprocket with a 10-tooth sprocket.
- Optional, affordable backfill blade is easy to install and reduces cleanup time and manual labor.
- Support from a worldwide dealership network dedicated exclusively to sales and service of the Ditch Witch product line; every dealer is extensively trained to provide superior customer support, including genuine Ditch Witch parts that extend the life of your equipment.
Trench depth, maximum
Trench width, min to max
4.3 in - 6 in
Boom travel down
Boom travel up
Head shaft height
Length - transport
Width - transport
Height - transport
Angle of departure
Centerline trench to outside edge of machine, left
Centerline trench to outside edge of machine, right
Angle of approach
Spoil discharge reach
- Maximum transit forward (tire)
- Maximum transit reverse (tire)
- Maximum transit forward (track)
- Maximum transit reverse (track)
Digging chain speed @ 3600 rpm
- 12-tooth sprocket
- 10-tooth sprocket
Spoils handling (single auger)
- Outer diameter
- Inner diameter
With 33,000-lb test, two-pitch digging chain and 24-in roller boom"
With 35,000-lb test, 4.6 in Combo Shark digging chain, Rotowitch, backfill blade, tracks and trench cleaner"
With 24in X 4 in (based on roller boom and narrow width digging chain
Briggs & Stratton Vanguard™ 4 stroke
Number of cylinders
Manufacturer's net horsepower rating
Net torque @ 2500 rpm
Fuel consumption @ 3000 rpm
Ground drive transmission
Hydrostatic, speed infinitely variable from zero to maximum, speed and direction controlled with dual levers
Digging chain drive
Hydraulic direct drive, dual lever-operated, one speed forward and reverse
Direct drive from engine
- Chain drive sprocket
Forged and tempered
Bolt-on cup teeth with hard surfaced edge of tungsten carbide
Spoils handling drive type
Mechanical, attached to and rotates with headshaft
- 18 x 9.5 x 8 bar lug
- 18 x 9.50x 8 turf NHS
Digging drive pump capacity @ 3600 rpm
- Auxiliary pump
- Auxiliary motor
Ground drive dual hydrostat pump @ 3600 rpm
- Ground drive pump 2x
- Ground drive motor 2x
Filtration: Return flow, 10 micron nominal
- Function: Boom lift
- Type: Double acting
Skid steered, lever controlled
SAE reserve capacity: 41 min
SAE cold crank: 340 amps
Vibration at the operator's hand during normal operation
Operator 90 dbA sound pressure per ISO
Exterior 102 dbA sound power per ISO
Additional Directional Drills