JT40 ALL TERRAIN Directional DrillOptimized for industry-leading performance and productivity when drilling in hard rock conditions, the Ditch Witch AT40 All Terrain is designed with an advanced version of the proven Ditch Witch All Terrain drilling system. The updated, two-pipe system boosts power to the bit—33 percent more torque than the competition. The drill leverages the next-generation features of the JT40 model so you get increased jobsite cycle times, improved durability and greater control.
- The AT40 All Terrain is designed with an advanced, two-pipe drilling system for industry-leading power to the bit. The enhanced system boosts power and productivity when drilling and steering in hard rock conditions.
- The inner pipe works as a mechanical motor, driving the bit during the bore, and the outer pipe thrusts the bit forward while steering the drill shaft. During backreaming, the outer pipe transmits full machine torque downhole.
- All Terrain technology enables enhanced rock drilling at a low fluid level, decreasing overall jobsite waste, minimizing cleanup and reducing environmental impact.
- The optimized system utilizes true 15-ft length drill pipe, allowing a total of 360 feet of drill pipe to fit onboard for reduced jobsite cycle times.
- Patent-pending All Terrain connection provides a more reliable connection for optimized performance and steering.
- The RockMaster® All Terrain housing has a modular design that allows it to adapt to two different sizes of bits, allowing a 2.875 and 3.5 regular API connection.
- The housing features an industry-exclusive, double-layer seal design with high-capacity bearings to increase downhole life and reliability, which minimizes maintenance and cuts any associated rebuild costs in half.
- A patent-pending, steering-offset design eliminates the need for a universal CV joint, reducing fatigue in shaft and allowing a two-degree bend for more effective and responsive steering in hard rock conditions.
- Equipped with a 160-gross-hp, Tier 4 Cummins® diesel engine, the AT40 All Terrain provides 14 percent more horsepower than competitive models in its class.
- With 40,000 pounds of thrust and pullback, the AT40 All Terrain provides 30 percent more thrust in a more compact unit than competitive models in its class.
- The machine offers an innovative two-speed, rotational drive system, producing 5,500 ft·lb of torque for greater efficiency and uptime.
- The newly updated hydraulic platform utilizes the Ditch Witch-proven technology to provide the most efficient power downhole.
- Equipped with a 70-gpm, 1,100-psi mud pump, the AT40 All Terrain has increased fluid course from the mud pump to the swivel, for more downhole flow capabilities.
- The machine includes a patent pending reversible pipe box for added jobsite versatility.
- Patent-pending open-sided vise wrenches on the unit are rotated toward the operator enhancing visibility.
- The drill features a unique add-a-pipe design, which allows operators to manually insert additional sticks of drill pipe when pipe runs out, improving overall productivity.
- The machine provides industry-leading visibility with the best view to all critical vision points, including ground entrance, wrenches, shuttle-retract location, and rear connection.
- The AT40 All Terrain is equipped with the choice of a fully enclosed cab, with all tinted, glass side paneling, or an open operator’s station.
- The ergonomic station was designed specifically for an HDD operator, featuring a heated seat with adjustable suspension and increased legroom.
- The operator’s platform is equipped with telescoping capability providing the optimal drilling view for improved jobsite operations.
- Equipped with two seven-inch LED screens for better visibility into all machine functions, diagnostics, and bore tracking information.
- A real-time carriage-position indicator provides operators insight to the exact carriage position for increased productivity and intuitive operation.
- The machine is equipped with radial operator control (ROC)—the multifunctional controller is highlighted on the machine display when activated for improved control efficiency.
- The AT40 All Terrain is equipped with swing-out, lift-off service doors for easy access for machine maintenance and serviceability.
- With no grease zerks and easy access to all service points in one spot, maintenance is simplified and total cost of ownership reduced.
- Integrated pipe lubricator makes it easier for operators to change out lubrication buckets for more efficient machine maintenance.
- The AT40 All Terrain minimizes pipe-entry distance for increased support for the drill pipe as it enters the ground—this reduces wear on guide blocks and decreases the overall footprint on a job.
- The AT40 All Terrain is equipped with a modular stake down system with two available options, standard and heavy-duty, that can now be feathered for more precise control.
- The advanced remote control gives operators the ability to set up the rig outside of the cab allowing more precise positioning of the unit on the job.
- The controller includes multi-mode ground drive; dual, independent stabilizers, stake down, cab traverse, and dual pivot.
|JT40 ALL TERRAIN|
Overall machine length
Overall machine width
89 in - w/ Cab: 93 in w/o Cab
Overall machine height
Overall machine Weight
Angle of approach
Angle of departure
Spindle speed, max
Spindle torque, max
5,500 ft-lb - AT inner spindle: 2,000 ft-lb
Carriage thrust travel speed
Carriage pullback travel speed
Thrust travel speed
Pullback travel speed
Ground travel speed
|Power – TIER 4|
Turbocharged & charge air cooled
Number of cylinders
Manufacturer's gross power rating @ 2300 rpm
|Power – TIER 4i|
|Power - Tier 3/4i|
|Drilling Fluid System (On-Board)|
|Drilling Fluid System|
drilling fluid pressure, max
drilling fluid flow, max
Engine oil with filter
Engine cooling system
Diesel exhaust fluid tank
|UFE Drill Pipe|
|Single Piece Forged Drill Pipe|
|Power Pipe® HD|
Diameter of drill pipe tool joint end
Diameter of drill pipe
Minimum bend radius
Weight of drill pipe (lined)
Weight of drill pipe & large box (40 pipe)
Weight of drill pipe & small box (20 pipe)
|Power Pipe Forged|
|Power Pipe Forged (900#)|
|Power Pipe® HD (900#)|
|Power Pipe Forged (For Dirt Drilling)|
|All Terrain Pipe|
Diameter of drill pipe tool joint end
Diameter of drill pipe
Min. bend radius
Weight of drill pipe
Weight of drill pipe and large box (24 pipe)
Weight of drill pipe and small box (12 pipe)
|Battery – TIER 4|
|Battery (2 used)|
SAE reserve capacity rating
SAE cold crank rating @ 0°F
|Battery – TIER 4i|
Operator sound w/o cab
< or = 85 dBA
Operator sound w/ cab
< or = 73 dBA
Additional Directional Drills